Home     Links     Contact Us     Bookmark  

Homepage      News      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Home : Legal Forum : Marriage & Divorce

How much allowance should i give my Wife?
Find answers to your legal question.

How much allowance should i give my Wife?

My wife and I got into a fight today about her allowance. I have been giving her $20 dollars per week as allowance but she seems to think thats too little! You know women these days, they want everything. They need expensive starbucks lattes, fancy clothes, big gas guzzling SUVs so they can feel safe, etc. We've come to the conclusion that $20 isn't enough and we need to increase it.

So what do you guys think? I'll tell you what i think. I think she should get $40 per week. I think thats a reasonable number given my salary of 75k/year. We need to save all we can for a house, retirement, and college costs for the kids we'll be having.

lwomar
What!!?? I hope you are joking. She is your wife, not your child.

Nikki B
She shouldn't be on an allowance in the first place, she should have just as much access to your account, which should also belong to both of you. Controlling her and how much money she can have is just asking for future fights and shows how little you trust her. Any woman I know who's man even thought about putting them on an allowance would be out of that relationship in a heart beat. That shows a lack of respect and trust.

kathleen m
Rating
First of all, kids get allowance!!! If you had to pay your wife wages for all she does, you couldn't afford her. She should be able to ask you for anything she needs. Her spending money shouldn't be thought of as "allowance" but girly-girl money, apart from household expenses. This is money she should be able to use in order to get her hair or nails done or buy new clothes for herself or the kids. Don't be cheap with your wife!!! The more she feels loved and respected, the more lovin' you'll get!!! If that is all you can afford at this time, say to her, "Honey, here is the money for whatever you want this week--I wish it could be more, because you are worth so much more"!!! You'll get great responses!!!

Rocker007
Rating
If you truly love her, you both would share a joint bank account and share all the money. If she feels the money is hers also, she won't feel compelled to spend too much (I mean.. who wants to spend their own money?) and it brings more trust in the relationship.

Jen Hates Evil Empire Starbucks
It depends on a lot of factors. If you are making 75k a year, you could give her $300 or more a week. Why not? It just depends on your budget. If your budget only allows you to give her $40 a week then maybe you are overspending in other areas.

islandgirl1002000
wow .. did u say allowance ? oh my god ... is this a marriage or a slavery ... i could see if she spends money on stupid things she dont need but come on ... suppose to be partners .. maybe talk to her about getting a part time job for extra cash ... u did say kids u will be having so no kids she has time for work... good luck to u both.. allowance geez I still cant believe a allowance

Flying Dragon
I'm a guy, but I'm on your wife's side on this; you're being kind of "cheap", consider the value of you wife's companionship, the work she does around the house for you etc! Since you don't have kids right now, there is no reason why your wife couldn't get her own job (it doesn't need to be anything really special, just some kind of work so she will have a chance to learn how hard it is to make money). She will then have her own money which she should be allowed to spend as she pleases! PS some guys just give the whole paycheck to the wife and let them handle the money matters; everybody has their own system.

no1tamesme
Rating
I think she should not be satisfied with getting an "allowance" and go get a job. Then when she realizes what an *** someone is for giving their wife an allowance, she has money to leave.

Chocolate1
If that isn't enough and it isn't . Let her make her own money! But she 's worth her weight in gold. Because she wear a lot of hats-Mother, wife, teacher, cook, laundress,housekeeper,chauffeur,nurse,Lo... nurturer and whatever else, YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF.

Bethany I
I think your wife should give you a bill for all the things she does around the house, the shopping, groceries, etc.
This is suppose to be a team. You are not her father; you're her HUSBAND.
stop treating her like a child and get out of the dark ages. This is 2007, not 1807!

How can I help?
I think that she should get the amount that the judge will award her in divorce court for allimony and child support! You are a cheap assho*e and sound like a dink!!

Topsail
Rating
Gee, what a prize you are. What a great deal your wife got when she married you. I'll bet you've got a really nice truck to drive.

You don't love her...you want to control her.

I'm glad she's putting up a fight. She deserves more.

What kind of a family did you grow up with?

Wow. Unbelievable. An allowance like she's a child! I'm offended and I feel sorry for the poor lass.

Jeepers!

lotteda717
Well you may not have these children.with her anyway.There is nothing worse than having to ask a man for money ever time the girls ask you out for lunch,And,Twenty dollars will wipe you out for the week.You need to get out in the world and try to have any friends with twenty dollars to spend.A round of golf,tennis,bowling costs more than that. Does she work? Do all these things,clothes,gas,come out of that?$20 is nothing,Get real if its just spending money $50 is more like it. When you have these kids,it will cost a whole lot more.

hopefultobe
Rating
I always joke about my allowance. My husband and I make very similar but, I have free control to spend what i want but i hardly ever go over $35-$40. Just matters on her spending habits. I can spend over a hundred one week but nothing for the next 2. Give her a little freedom for a few weeks and see how much she spends. Talk it over and figure it out than.

fistycuffs
You gots to be kidding, mister!!!!!! That's all I have to say, my real answer is worth $20 bucks but I'm not telling because I think you are too cheap for that too.

bikinibabewannabe
Rating
no kids yet? she is home all day? Seriously? Tell her to go get a job at starbucks pulling coffe, what she earns is hers to keep, spend whatever and you just do the household stuff(which I'm guessing you already do?) Maybe she'll learn the value of a buck

Michael
Rating
tell her if she thinks $20 is so awful she can get off her butt and get a job

bigmom
Is the allowance for her to spend solely on herself? Are all other necessities (gas, food, etc) paid for by another means? $60.00 per week for 52 weeks of the year is only $3,120........you would be paying much more in alimony/spousal support payments should she divorce you....something to think about. Why can't wife work and make her own money? Could she keep all of it and give you $20 a week?

k
Rating
enjoy life.you make enough that she should not say it is an allowance.when my husband retired 2003 he made 30000 yr before taxes.now we live on half that.money is not everything.don't be selfish.i sure could do alot with 75000.

Purple People Pleaser
You are really cheap! Hand over your pay cheque to her...she deserves to get your entire salary!

?
Rating
An allowance??? Boy does someone have control issues ...

instead of giving her money and say "here, spend this", let her have access to the whole JOINT amount and say "be responsible" ... if she isn't then don't let her have anything until she learns to be responsible with the finances ... you are the husband, not the daddy giving a little girl a couple of quarters a week ...

JFS (made of cute)
*bwahahahahahaha!*

t-rex
hey not all women are like that you know...
a lot of women work their butts off too, you know..
i get that your wife doesnt work...how come?
well here's what i think...
she should get off her ***, get a job, and help you save up for the future!
coz when you start having kids, it will be soooooo hard to keep a job and take care of the kids at the same time...
and, it wont be easy if you're the only one holding down a job..unless of course you get a 6-figure salary or somethin..
what i'm sayin is.... tell your wife to be responsible (in a loving way of course) and start thinkin of the future..coz marriage aint just one spouse's responsibility.
it's up for both of you to make your marriage work, not only in terms of money but in other aspects as well.
dont wait till at the end of your rope, dude...coz by then it'll be sooo hard to fix your problem and let go of all the resentments that you've ben keeping.
goodluck!

Cowgirl Up
Allowance? Are you serious?? I understand the need to save for the future and all that, that makes sense, but do people really give their wives an allowance in this day and age? And $40 a week? Wow, don't be sooooo generous there honey. Not sure where you're from, but where I'm from 75k/year is pretty good, so only $40/wk, no. Work out a budget, figure out how much you need to save to make your future dreams come true and focus on putting x amount of money away each week rather than how little you can give her.

Melly
Rating
Your question is pathetic and purely fabricated. Get a life.

Punkin'
Your wife needs to get a j-o-b and earn her own money and gain self- independence. Ha!

beachbabe02
Rating
i think 40 a week is perfect. after all its 200$. wat does she want to spend it on thats so important?? if she wants more then tell her to get a job!

Mike T
Just give her the check hope you have some left. That always make's them happy. LOL

tryingtobehelpful
Rating
Your wife gets an allowance? I'm sorry to say but thats kind of gay. Or does she not work? If she doesn't work then I guess I can completely see that. I guess $40 is reasonable. But if she works then she should be able to spend her own money.

Enter Your Message or Comment

User Name:  
User Email:   
Post a comment:

Legal Discussion Forum

Why do you have to have kids with someone to prove that you love them?
Some married people have children to bond them together. The child is a product of their love. Why is this the case? I would assume that a child would create a barrier between them because it is ...

If you had a photo of your sister cheating, would you tell her husband?
Is right always right? or does it depend? Would you do the same thing if your bro-inlaw was the one cheating on your sister?...

Anyone been married 10+ years?
And still love their partner?
I ask this question because it seems that I have more and more days where I have to find a reason to stay.

More and more I feel as though we are just ...

I think my husband is gay he never wants to be intimate with me am i overreacting?
I'VE BEEN MARRIED FOR 2 YEARS MY HUSBAND HARDLY EVER MAKES THE FIRST MOVE. I ALWAYS START WITH FORPLAY HE TURNS OVER 99% OF THE TIME AND GOES TO SLEEP IS HE HAVING AN AFFFAIR OR IS HE GAY?...

Should i divorce my wife is she has an std?
just found out my wife has an std. not from me. not sure if she messed around on me. was married 7 months, she became crazy and unhappy and we seperated for the last 5. now she says she has hpv. ...

What would you say to the woman who tried to steal your husband away?
My husband reconnected with a friend he went to school with 20 years ago. She was separated from her husband, and started showing a lot of interest in him. They began emailing each other a lot, and ...

Should i leave him ?
I am in a relationship that is very complicated. I do not love him anymore, but i feel sorry for him, he never talks to me, comes in from work and sits on his chair lol.... i am only 32 but i feel ...

PICTURE INSIDE: Do you think i have WHAT IT TAKES to be a MODEL?
Link to the picture:

http://chavscum.co.uk/4i
Give me your honest opinion and if possible can you please rate me out of 10?...

Is it wrong to ask for engagement ring back if it is part of a set?
I broke up with my fiance and we got back together but not engaged now. She said she doesn't want me to ask her later if we are together with the same ring. She would want a different one. S...

If you had to choose between your "significant other" leaving you or dying, which would it be?
This was asked in one of my psychology classes, and just thinking about each scenario made some of us cry! Could you choose if you had to?
Additional Details
Wow! You guys all gave ...

Are you happy where you live?

My marriage SHOULD HAVE worked but DID NOT!?
My question is this. How many couples thought your marriage was going to work out because there should have been no reason that it should not have. Both parties took every precaution that you could ...

How can I learn to listen to my wife or anyone else?
I am well aware of the fact that I am NOT a good listener. For some reason I always feel like I HAVE to get my point in or the world will come to an end. I not only catch myself turning what she ...

Why would a young woman love and marry and older man?
I am curious about motivations as i intend to get me one....

What is the difference between a wife and a girlfriend?

If you find out your partener was having an affair?..............?
and we selling the house and he earns ton more than me and can easily get another mortage,where as I wouldn`t be able to,(work full time but crap wages) and have the kids living with me
(a) sell ...

Hubby wants to try something new,?
he wants to try butt penetration, i've never done this before but we have seen it in xxx rated films, i'm ok with it but kinda scared, anyone got any ideas on how to make it less painful? i&...

Help me!!!?
i am married, very happily, but i am attracted to another man!!! what do i do??? (to clarify, i am a female)...

How upset would you be if your spouse lost their ring?
a) I would be extremely upset, possibly to the point of wanting a divorce.

b) I would be pretty upset but hey, things happen ... we're all human.

c) I would be a little ...

Help please what do you think,my husband makes me look stupid?
my husband works very hard all day and comes back home complain that he is tired,all l want is for him to rest after a hard days job,so l do every other work in the house,including taking care of ...

Copyright (c) 2009-2013 Wiki Law 3k Friday, November 21, 2014 - Trusted legal information for you.
Archive: Forum  |  Forum  |  Forum  |  Links